This study is based on archive research, material from an article written by Ben Boyd who has lived in the area since 1926 together with my own personal reminiscences and those from a number of other long established local residents.
Jordanhill started to develop into a popular residential area at the start of the 1900's and by then a number of local shops had appeared on Crow Road in order to serve the local demand. It should be appreciated that in these days, local housewives (before the days of working wives) walked to the shops several times a week and carried their purchases home in heavy baskets. Some might have walked to the shops at Anniesland Cross or taken the tramcar to Partick, but in general all shopping was done locally. There were bakers, a bank, butchers, chemist, dairies, drapers, fishmongers, fruiterers, grocers, ironmongers, newsagents, shoemaker, shoe repairer, sweet shops and tailor. Virtually all weekly needs were catered for.
When I first came to Jordanhill in 1957 with my parents (who had bought a house in Milner Road) all these shops were flourishing. Very few households had a car in the 1950's but by the 1970's car ownership had grown considerably, supermarkets had started to offer everything under one roof at lower prices and these factors were to be the death knell for the local shops. One by one they have closed down and although a few retail units such as newsagents remain, the shops are now mainly occupied by "service" providers, such as hairdressers, insurance offices, carry-outs and the pub.
There were five identifiable groups of shops on Crow Road which served Jordanhill, Claythorn and the north part of Broorrihill.
The groups of shops on Crow Road
(A) The row of shops on Crow Road opposite the Arnold Clark showrooms between Randolph Road and Beechwood Drive (B) a small group on Crow Road, including a bank, between Randolph Road and the Railway line (these were demolished to make way for the new block of flats at Randolph Road) (C) a neat row on Crow Road between the two bridges, several of which have been obliterated by the new frontage for the pub (D) the present group on Crow Road just north of the railway bridges and (E) a small group just south of Whittingehame Drive.
In order to gather published information on these early shops, reference was made to the Post Office Directories and valuation rolls available in the Mitchell Library. The shops in groups A, B and C were first listed about 1906.
The addresses are listed in ascending numerical order (travelling northwards) and the current occupants are shown in bold letters.
Group A (Beechwood Drive to Randolph Road)
454 Greenwood Insurances Initially the Glasgow Dairy Company and then Ross's Dairies.
458 Cameron Interiors (3 shops) Initially St George's Co-operative Society
466 Midas Financial Solutions Previously Mortgage Intelligence and initially Daniel Turner, painter
468 Et Vous, hairdressing Initially James Agnews, confectioner, later Roxburgh and Son.
470 Cafe di Sorrento Initially James Graham, fishmonger then Alexander Colquhoun, baker; and later Mary Edgar, baker.
472 Anderson Doe Podiatry Clinic Initially Cockburn, fruiterers.
476 Empty. Lately Hutchisons Euronics Centre Initially T McMaster, chemist
478 The Wee Barber Shop Lately, Door Stop, joiners and glaziers Initially A McAuslin, stationer.
480 Dukes Newsagents Initially A & W Paterson, shoemakers
482 Savannah Beauty Centre Initially Morrison sisters, drapers, later John Robertson, outfitters.
484 Adam Tanning Centre Initially John Paton, butcher
486 Pinks hairdressing Initially R Scott, Grocer. It was a car spares shop a few years ago.
GROUP B (below the new block of flats).
488 Living for Style.com, kitchens bedrooms and bathrooms (the address in the Phone Book is given as 1 Randolph Gate)
490 Rainbow Room International, hairdressing
492` Jordanhill Orthodontic Centre orthodontists (2 shops)
Previously there had been a group of single storey shops with the bank at the corner of Randolph Road as under; this photograph was taken about 10 years ago..
488 The Union Bank (not listed before 1910)
490 Alex Cochrane, dairyman
492 Wm Moncrieff and Sons, grocer
496 E W Hutchison. Initially a hardwear store, it expanded into electrical goods and subsequently sold only large electrical goods such as televisions and washing machines.
500 The Station Garage and petrol station. Before the site was cleared to make way for the new flats, it was occupied by a tool hire company. The large piece of land behind contained the Jordanhill Garage (repairs and servicing) and lock-ups for rent.
Group C (between the two railway bridges)
506 There was a small wooden hut beside the ramp to the station which was removed when the station was upgraded. It was occupied by the Misses Coutts as a newsagent but they also stocked the books for Jordanhill College students. The address first appeared in 1942 under the name of their father James Coutts, but the sisters later moved into the shop at 510 Crow Road (see below)(see photo14 in www.wsmclean.com/bygone
508 Oriental Cuisine, take away (in 1906 this address was No. 500) This was a local specialist sweets shop owned by the Woods family since 1910 who had a sweet factory in Clarence Drive.
510 Inch Loss Clinic (in 1906 this address was No. 502) Originally opened in 1906 as a baker's shop owned by Walter Hubbard and later occupied by the City Bakeries. Latterly it was taken over by the Misses Coutts who transferred their newsagents and college bookseller business from their small wooden hut at 506 Crow Road (see above)
512 Pablos. This was the local grocer's shop called "Hays" which first appeared in 1906
514 Pablos Previously a chemist shop owned by George Thomson, then by Mr Dickie and later by James Hogarth who expanded the business by taking over the shop next door (see below). Later the premises were occupied by a company selling engine parts and then it was a delicatessen called "Cornucopia".
516 Pablos. Originally a newsagent, tobacconist and sub post office owned by Mr Gilchrist. James Hogarth took over the shop to expand his chemist business.
518 The Sisters Restaurant (Advert for the premises behind) Still part of Pablos This was the local fishmonger's from the 1930's under the Campbell family and latterly under Mr McLeod. Recently it was Mignano's ladies' hairdressing
520 City and Rural Stoves. Lately Sun Scene Direct From 1906 until around 1988 this was occupied by J Stewart, butcher who until a few years ago also had a shop in Byres Road.
522 J H Horn and Son, plumbers and Hugh Scott Builders. From 1906 until 1920 this was owned by Mrs Guy, and then it became the business premises of A W Mickel, the local plumber and electrician.
Group D (Southbrae Drive to Woodend Drive)
528 Pizza and Grill, home delivery. Lately New China Dragon. Originally Sam Kirkwood's valet shop, where clothes were repaired, pressed and valetted. It later became a wool shop. Until recently it operated as Olympian Kebabs
530 Pizza and Grill Home take away This was initially Jessie Craigs, a hardware merchant (who also operated the shop next door), and then it became a shoe repair shop owned successively by Mr Brown and Mr Tainsh. It has also been Mrs Halcrow's Norwegian craft shop "Tusen Takk" and the Rummage dress shop Until recently operated as Olympian Kebabs
534 Katrina Frances Hairdressing Before the Second World War this was known as "Barbara Watt's" sweet shop. Since then it has been a dairy, and a driving tuition business
As of August 2012 now Boomerang Property Management
536 Just bathrooms Lately Clements and Osborne, hearing aid specialists previously occupied by Domestic Appliance Repairs. Iin its time this has been Clark's the fruiterer and also a shoe repairer
538. The Hearing Company, previously occupied by Swinton Insurance. Originally Mrs Gardner's haberdashery shop, then it became a ladies' hairdressing salon under successive owners
540 Digiview TV aerials Previously occupied by by Muir Anderson's Travel Agency. In earlier days it was a ladies' hairdressing salon and Samuel McColl's radio and TV shop.
542 Beauty Connections Started off in the 1940's as Dr Laird's surgery, but after that the business changed to Peter Shanlin, painter and decorator, then an optician and subsequently incorporated into the shop at 544 (as below)
544. Beauty Connections Known to older residents as "Paxtons", this was a newsagent and tobacconist shop under the Paxton family from 1920 till 1984. In 1974, the son of the original owner took over No. 542 and extended the original shop. In 1984 the shop was taken over by Fred Dundas.
550 Cafe and Coffee House First appeared in the 1940's. Until recently known as The Modern Cafe, it has been owned by the Tomasso family for over 60 years. Referred to locally (by the older generation) as "Angie's" , Angie was the son of the founder, whose son now runs the business.
Group E (at Whittinghame Drive)
614 Jordanhill Newsagents This has always been a newsagent and tobacconist shop under various owners; Mr White opened the shop in 1912, and successive owners have included Mr Dick, Mrs McLellan, Mr McColl, Mr Conning and Mr Boyle.
616 Iris, One Cut Ahead, Until around 1977 it was a haberdashery and baby linen shop originally under the ownership of Misses Bruce and Dykes and later under Mrs McDonald. It has also been a poodle parlour.
620 Vacant This started off as the office of Messrs William Downs and Sons the builders of a large part of Jordanhill. Thereafter it became a cafe-tea-room under various proprietors until Messrs R S Logan and Co took it over and changed it into a motor car showroom. Then for a short while it was a grocers shop, followed by an off-sales.
Additional Local Shops.
In addition to the shops in Crow Road, there were two shops in Whittingehame Drive just round the corner from Crow Road, (F)
Group F (in Whittinghame Drive)
139 Whittingehame Drive. This former shop has now been converted into a private house It was originally "Saunder's " local sweet and general provision shop. Jim McGhee, a well known local resident, took it over in the early 1950's but he retired in 1969.
143 West End Therapy and Homeopathic Clinic. Mr Hastings established a shoe repair business at this address some 60 years ago and it continued to operate as such until around 1983 when Mrs Young opened a dress shop. She vacated the premises in 1986. It later became a pet grooming centre
Anniesland Road Shops
On Anniesland Road west of Helensburgh Drive see http://www.wsmclean.com/shop.htm for more details and photographs
205 News and Sweets. This small shop, at the east end of a row of small terrace houses known as Helensburgh Place Cottages is first listed in the early 1880's.
234 Anniesland Road, (on the north side of the road) now a private house, was originally a grocer's shop owned by William Martin.
Back to home page http://www.wsmclean.com/ Created April 2006, updated July 2011