A selection of sources, books and other references for Jordanhill.



Reference Sources


The Archives Department.    Situated on the second floor of the Mitchell Library this department holds many fascinating records for a large area of western Scotland.    Originally the Mitchell held only Glasgow records, but it gathered material from the wider area during the era when Strathclyde Regional Council was in existence.  It also holds planning and building control plans for many properties and these are listed for easy reference on computer.     However many early records for North Jordanhill were initially deposited with Renfrewshire Archives and during Local Government Reorganisation in 1975 (when Strathclyde Region took over the custody of all archives), it appears that many records went missing.    For example the original drawings for Jordanhill Church cannot be found.


The department also holds extensive collections of old Ordnance Survey maps.


I have spent many hours researching in the Mitchell over the last 30 years,  and unlike the rest of the Mitchell, the Archives Department is a little world of its own.    Only pencils may be used within the area and woe betide anyone producing a ballpoint.   It is a chore getting the requested documents.... Forms have to be completed giving name and address and reasons for research,  forms to request the chosen documents and then waits of ten to fifteen minutes for the material to be produced from the dungeons.   Material cannot be taken out of the library and the making of photocopies is forbidden although pricey copies can be ordered (to be made by staff) which can be collected a few days later.     The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable


The Smith Papers.  The Archives Department holds a huge deposit of the personal papers and estate records belonging to the Smiths of Jordanhill    There is a file (reference TDI) containing dozens of pages with hundreds of entries giving brief descriptions of items, most of which are very dull, but there are also many fascinating documents


Oswald Papers.  The Archives Department holds very little on the Oswalds of Scotstoun


The Glasgow Room in the Mitchell Library contains an extensive collection of reference books on Glasgow and the staff can usually help in suggesting suitable titles for any particular line of research.  


Renfrew District Museums.  Although North Jordanhill was in Renfrewshire until the early part of last century, there are no records held there.     I wrote to the keeper of Local History  in 1980 and he confirmed the absence of Jordanhill material.


Jordanhill College Library (now the University of Strathclyde Jordanhill Campus Library) has some local material.    The librarian is very knowledgeable and helpful.


Local lending Libraries..     Anniesland and Knightswood Libraries both have a  “Local History”  file which is available for inspection on request at the desk.     These files contain some interesting papers about the wider area and includes a number on Jordanhill.      Whiteinch Library has a very limited file.





All Saints’ Episcopal Church – 1853 to 1991.  The history of All Saints’ Church, Woodend Drive.   This book makes reference to an earlier history by Margaret Macdonald published in 1938.


Both Sides of the Burn by pupils of Yoker Secondary School published in 1966.     Deals with an area to the west of Jordanhill but has lots of local general interest.    


Bygone Partick and Bygone Partick 2 by Bill Spalding.     Although mainly about Partick, these two books contain a number of local photographs including Victoria Park Drive North, Crow Road and the Victoria Park.


Claythorn Story produced by Claythorn Community Council in 1990.  Covers the history of the area immediately east of North Jordanhill and has many cross references to Jordanhill.


From Hillhead Free Church to Jordanhill Parish Church.   The story of Jordanhill Church, published in 1995.     Copies are available for purchase from the Church Office.


History of Jordanhill College of Education 1921-1971 by John Fairley.    This is a limited edition book and contains useful notes on dates for the development of various buildings in the campus.  It can be consulted in Jordanhill College Library.


Jordanhill School 1920 – 1995 by Iain A D Mann.     A brief history of the first 75 years of Jordanhill School from 1920 to 1995 including group photographs of the school staff through the years.      Copies are available for purchase from the School Office.


Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry published in 1878.   Available for reference in the Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library, includes detailed notes on Jordanhill Estate


Old Ordnance Survey Maps – Kelvinside 1893 Godfrey Edition.    This folded reproduction map is obtainable for a few pounds in the Mitchell Library and includes a small part of North Jordanhill east of Selborne Road plus the Anniesland area.


Old Ordnance Survey Maps – Partick 1894 Godfrey Edition.     This folded reproduction map is obtainable for a few pounds in the Mitchell Library and includes a small part of South Jordanhill east of Orleans Avenue.


Old Scotstoun and Whiteinch by Sandra Malcolm.   Although mainly about the areas in the title, it contains several photographs with notes of South Jordanhill


Partick Anecdotes by Robert Paul.     Mr Paul was a teacher at Jordanhill College School and had a wide knowledge of the local area.     There are a few references to Jordanhill in this book.


Regality Club – Second Series published in 1893.  Available for inspection in the Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library, it contains a large entry on the Lands of Balshagray  (South Jordanhill)


Teaching the Teachers – the History of Jordanhill College of Education published 1996.     This book deals mainly with the curriculum of the College.


Thomas Crawford – Scottish Gentleman  by Norman Nichol published in 1973.  A detailed history of the famous Crawford of Jordanhill.


100 Years of Glasgow’s Amazing Cinemas by Bruce Peter.    Contains information about the local cinemas which formerly served Jordanhill.



5 May 2005


Back to home page